This Memorial Day, we remember Larry Quinn, who envisioned the framework for The Albatross. We are honored to carry forth his vision. We are now accepting submissions for The Albatross Literary and Arts Journal, featuring monthly online publications and an annual print edition. We invite veterans, military family members, and members of the military-connected community to share poetry, stories, essays, reflections, and artwork that explore healing, identity, resilience, and the human experience.
—
Trigger warning: Materials may be sensitive to some with some brief mention of suicide and mental health struggles. For veterans in crisis, support is available through the Veteran’s Crisis Line by dialing 988 and pressing 1.
This month I want to reflect on the meaning behind Memorial Day. It’s a day often marked by flags, ceremony and moments of revered silence. It is a day of remembrance for the men and women who gave their lives in service to our county. It’s also a time to reflect on the harsh realities that can await many veterans after their service has ended. For some, the hardest battles begin after they return home.
This month we are honored to share a poem by Andrew Creason paired alongside artwork done in collaboration with Larry Dawson. The work speaks honestly about survival, mental struggles and the importance of support systems for those that have served.
The poem speaks of gratitude for the Reno VA, the Veteran’s Crisis Line and the people who stood beside him during his lowest moments. The poem’s words are raw and unfiltered. They speak of struggle, hopelessness and the darkness in moments where Creason felt alone. Through it all, one message came through loud and clear to this reader: help matters.
Veterans carry experiences with them that the majority of civilians may never fully understand. Service can leave lasting emotional and psychological wounds that are invisible to the outside world. Conversations do abound about PTSD, depression and suicide and yet the reality is sobering.
Art is a way for veterans to process their traumas. To tell their stories and to connect with others. Memorial Day reminds us to not only honor those whom we have lost, but those who lost a piece of themselves along the way. Those who did so selflessly. Those who still struggle to this day.
The helmet artwork at the bottom of this post transforms an object once associated with war into a symbol of expression, healing and survival. Every brushstroke and every line of poetry reminds me that behind every veteran is a story worth hearing.
Memorial Day asks us to remember sacrifice. I would like to push this a little further and ask us all to show compassion, to listen a little more deeply and to ensure that the veterans in our lives know that they are not alone. This Memorial Day, may we honor the fallen by continuing to care for the living.
—
Hard Helmet for Veteran X
By: Andrew Creason
I was once so lost
I almost put myself in the ground
If it wasn’t for the Range girls
I wouldn’t be around
Now I keep my feet
planted firmly on the ground
I got to thank the Reno VA
For the help that they gave
Or you wouldn’t hear this poem today
I said hey hey
I got to thank the Reno VA
For the help that they gave
Or you wouldn’t hear this poem today
7 Ropes around my neck
But I’m still here today
Some would say I’m teflon
But my name’s not Don
I can’t believe I just put
half my life in a poem
Multiple calls to Veteran’s crisis line
With suicide on my mind
Helped turn my life around
I got to thank the Reno VA
For the help that they gave
Or you wouldn’t hear this poem today
I said hey hey
I got to thank the Reno VA
For the help that they gave
Or you wouldn’t hear this poem today
After 72 hours in the hospital
I’m starting to to feel more hospitable
I got to thank the Reno VA
For the help that they gave
Or you wouldn’t hear this poem today
I said hey hey
I got to thank the Reno VA
For the help that they gave
Or you wouldn’t hear this poem today.
“Hard Helmet for Veteran X”
Artwork is a collab between Andrew Creason & Larry Dawson
Acrylic on Creason’s military issued helmet





No comments:
Post a Comment